When it comes to your home most people want the right balance of price and quality.
It is always important to understand what level of service your broker will provide through your journey. Much like a mortgage broker, we believe a Building Broker’s primary roles is to increase competition in the building industry and help mitigate the pitfalls of building.
Using a Building Broker may give you advantages, such as getting access to plans that might not be marketed, understanding the building processes and helping you ensure you haven’t missed anything important. But most importantly, it will allow you to save time by speaking to 1 person rather then dozens of builders who are going to want a deposit before sharing giving you all the details.
Why do I need a Building Broker?
The traditional process most people follow when they decide to build is:
- Go through display homes for inspiration
- Talk to their bank or mortgage broker to understand how much they can spend
- Go back through display homes to ask questions about what is plausible
- They then decide on a home that looks good and sign up with a builder
The problems start arising once someone has paid a deposit; at this stage most people realise that the display home they saw and the contract they have signed (and committed financially too) are two completely different homes. Builders will generally spec the display homes which is what people fall in love with, however the contracts that are signed don’t include many of the additional features in the property. This can result in blowing out the budget and unnecessary headaches for people.
The two main problems with the above decision-making process when choosing are builder is:
- Most people will decide on a builder based on their display homes. Typically, there are 4-8 builders in any given display home village which is the limit to your comparison.
- They are deciding on a builder based on a home that could potentially be outside of their budget.
With a builder broker there is a panel of builders that have been carefully selected based on individual strengths of the builders. Once your builder broker understands your brief, they can help find a builder that is suited to your individual needs. They will also assist with identifying things that you might have missed and work with the builder to ensure they deliver on all of your expectations.